What’s a no follow link? – A How To

When I first started blogging I had no idea what a ‘no follow link’ was or when and how to use one. Let me tell you I am not an HTML knowledgable person, computers are not my forte so after a lot of research (and confusion) I finally figured out how to insert a no follow link.

What are no Follow Links how do you make a link no Follow blogger help

When to use a no follow link

You should use a no follow link when you’ve received incentive to write a blog post. For example you’ve been sent a product (free of charge or at a discounted price) to review or you’ve received payment to write a post.

How to insert a no follow link

You insert a no following link by adding the HTML rel=”nofollow”

Now that might seem confusing so let me break it down.

1. Find the link you want to use and insert it into your blog post like normal.

What are no Follow Links how do you make a link no Follow blogger help

2. Click on the HTML tab at the top of your post. (I use WordPress but I’m pretty sure it’s similar for Blogger and other sites)

What are no Follow Links how do you make a link no Follow blogger help

3. Scroll down to where you’ve inserted your link. It should look something like this.

IMG_1868

4. Copy and paste rel=”nofollow” between the ‘<a’ and ‘href=…..’ at the start of the website.

What are no Follow Links how do you make a link no Follow blogger help

5. Don’t forget to click save at the top of the post! You can then go back to visual mode at the top of your post.

That’s how you make a link ‘no follow’.

What’s the point of no follow links?

You may be asking why would I use these? The simple (non jargon filled) explanation is, Google sort through all links mentioned online, the more link backs a site has the higher up it’ll appear on Google. (so more people are likely to click on it) By making a link no follow you’re telling google you were paid to include the link (whether it be through a free product or actual payment) so not to count that towards how many link backs a site has. Basically it stops sites being falsely bumped up Google.

Bloggers and no follow links

Now you’ve wrapped your head around how no follow links work you may be wondering why brands and PR’s contact you asking you to use follow links when you know it’s wrong! Honestly the decision is up to you. I personally don’t use follow links for content I’ve been asked to write but I know plenty of bloggers who do. Just know that you’re taking a risk and google may ban your site from appearing in searches if they catch you out!

I hope this was helpful to those of you, like me, who had zero idea about no follow links. If you’ve any questions at all please leave them in the comments and I’ll try my best to answer them!

If you liked this post don’t forget to check out my other blogger help posts on Bloglovin, Pinterest and some other topics!

*Disclaimer- I am by no means a computer or blogging genius, I just created this post to help other bloggers like myself who don’t understand jargon and want to learn about no follow links*

What are no Follow Links how do you make a link no Follow blogger helpWhat are no Follow Links how do you make a link no Follow blogger help

1. August 27, 2017 / 9:11 am

This was actually useful for me as you broke it down in a way I understand! Thank you, I get it now, yayyyyy!

2. August 27, 2017 / 9:43 am

This was so useful! I kind of knew what they were but it was all up in the air and I wasn’t 100% sure – I am now thank you!

Sophie xx // http://www.oneunique.co.uk

• August 28, 2017 / 10:08 am

Awww I’m so glad I was able to clarify for you!

3. August 27, 2017 / 10:12 am

Perfect place to thank you once again for showing me on Twitter how to use nofollow links. I managed to learn it by now, but for a long time I used the screenshot you sent me:)
    Thanks, Viktoria xx

• August 27, 2017 / 11:30 am

Awww I’m so pleased to have helped you! I’ve had a few people like you be unsure so I thought it was about time I created a post on it!

4. August 27, 2017 / 10:34 am

I’ve never heard of this before :O But I definitely learned something new today 🙂

• August 27, 2017 / 7:53 pm

Me to!! I’m still a little confused on what exactly they are but hey! A little more informed than I was previously 🙂 Thank you!! xx

• August 28, 2017 / 10:10 am

If you have questions I’d be more than happy to help! Send me an email, tweet or whatever and I’ll try and clarify even more!

• August 28, 2017 / 10:09 am

Glad to have introduced to something new!

5. August 27, 2017 / 11:03 am

You know… this is actually the first time I understand the why’s and how’s of follow/no follow!!!! Thank you so very much.
    Love, Kathleen

• August 28, 2017 / 10:10 am

Awww I’m so pleased to hear that! It is a confusing topic!

6. Chikumo
    August 27, 2017 / 11:41 am

This is sooooo helpful! Thank you!

7. August 27, 2017 / 11:51 am

This was so helpful, thank you! Was actually so clueless about what they were and why we needed them, great post!x

• August 28, 2017 / 10:11 am

So pleased to have helped! No follow links are definitely confusing, took me ages to wrap my head around!

8. August 27, 2017 / 1:29 pm

I’m pinning this to remember it, very informative post ! 😊

• August 28, 2017 / 10:11 am

Really pleased to have introduced to them! If you have any questions at all don’t hesitate to message me and I’ll be more than happy to help!

• August 28, 2017 / 10:12 am

Awww so pleased it helped! Yes those technical websites took me forever to translate so I’m really glad my simple explaination helped!

9. August 27, 2017 / 6:09 pm

This is a great post! I always thought no-follow links were bad things and that they should be avoided. I had no idea that there were times when you should be using them. This was really helpful!

Valerie – http://www.simpletipsblog.com

• August 28, 2017 / 10:13 am

They do sound kind of bad! I’m pleased to have explained them fully! They really do take a while to wrap your head around!

10. August 27, 2017 / 7:21 pm

You are an absolute angel for making this post. Simple and straight to the point! A lot of people will find it useful!

Meg x | the-writeblog.blogspot.co.uk

• August 28, 2017 / 10:14 am

Awww thankyou! Sometimes you have to really simplify things for them to make sense!

11. August 27, 2017 / 8:07 pm

Hi, may not call yourself a computer genius but I like others now I find punt found this post helpful. Well written and easy to understand.

12. August 27, 2017 / 8:09 pm

This post was so helpful I had no idea about nofollow links at first but now I just use a plugin because tech confuses me! This is going to help a lot of us beginners out

• August 28, 2017 / 10:15 am

They really are confusing aren’t they! Those plugins are really helpful!

13. August 27, 2017 / 8:10 pm

I didn’t even know that no follow links were a thing, let alone how to use them! Thanks for sharing, this is really useful. 🙂

14. August 27, 2017 / 8:13 pm

This was just the post I have been looking for! I have so many people talk about follow/ no follow links but was so confused by it all and this has helped to clear so many things up! Thank you!
    Robyn // http://www.midnightandlace.co.uk/

• August 28, 2017 / 1:25 pm

So glad it was helpful to you!! No follow links are a rather confusing thing to wrap your head around!

15. August 27, 2017 / 8:13 pm

Ommmgggg ok so I’ve never heard of any of this! So when a brand asks you to put a link in your post, it’s actually a follow and and it’s not really allowed? Is that right? This is all news to me lol!

whatevawears.co.uk

• August 28, 2017 / 1:26 pm

When a brand just says to link back to something then you can put it as no follow and they shouldn’t have a problem if they haven’t specified. The problem arises when some brands specifically ask you to include a follow link. In this case it’s up to you whether you want to take the risk of including a follow link, hope this helps!

16. August 27, 2017 / 8:14 pm

This is so helpful I only recently heard about these and had no idea what they were but maybe I should be using more of them when I have sponsored content!

Ellie

• August 28, 2017 / 1:27 pm

Glad it was helpful! You should always use a no follow link in sponsored content

17. August 27, 2017 / 8:16 pm

I really like posts like this as they are so useful for bloggers and something like how to do a no follow link is so important to make sure you follow the rules! Easy to follow explanation as well. xx

18. August 27, 2017 / 8:41 pm

This is such a great idea for a post as hopefully it will help a lot of people!! Thanks for sharing though!

Sophia xo // https://sophiaaaxo.com

19. August 27, 2017 / 8:44 pm

As a newbie blogger I did not know this! The breakdown very easy to understand and follow so big thank you!!

• August 28, 2017 / 1:28 pm

Really pleased to hear it was easy to follow and understand! If you’ve any questions at all don’t hesitate to drop me a message!

• August 28, 2017 / 1:31 pm

Thanks as a newbie I really appreciate that still trying to understand WordPress! I’m no techy 👩🏽‍💻 get the basics but I don’t know what my prevention looks like to visitors!

20. August 27, 2017 / 8:46 pm

I cannot thank you enough for this post! Like you, I’m what I describe as technologically incompetent, and SEO / do-follow / no-follow are things that I’ve never totally understood because I can’t get my head around the unnecessary jargon. I would love to read more of these posts in the future because you explain everything in such an easy to understand way x

• August 28, 2017 / 1:29 pm

Awwww this is the most lovely comment! Thankyou! I’m so pleased you understood everything and that it was easy to follow. I plan to have a few blogger help posts over the next few Sundays so if you’ve anything in particular you’d like please let me know!

21. Amy
    August 27, 2017 / 9:03 pm

I’d never heard of this before so learnt something new today! This is such a great idea, it’s going to help so many people! You’ve explained it so well xx

• August 28, 2017 / 1:29 pm

Glad to have introduced you to something! Hope it was helpful!

22. August 27, 2017 / 9:23 pm

Helpful post dear, it’s easy to get caught up in jargon, great explanation and example. Thank you for sharing.

Tx // MusicGeekOnline

23. August 27, 2017 / 10:17 pm

This was SO useful! Thankyou so much! – ems xo

24. August 27, 2017 / 10:19 pm

Thank you so much for the heads up, so so useful!

Abbey Hearts

abbey-hearts.blogspot.co.uk

25. Kayleigh Zara
    August 28, 2017 / 12:56 am

I’m sure this post will help out so many bloggers! I’ve known the difference in link types for a while but before that this would have really helped me x

Kayleigh Zara 🌿www.kayleighzaraa.com

26. August 28, 2017 / 10:08 am

Such a helpful post! I hate when brands and PRs expect you to use follow links – and feel bad for the bloggers that agree to use them without doing enough research!
    Emma | emmadrury.com 💛

27. August 28, 2017 / 7:48 pm

This is so useful, I’ve been struggling to understand what a no follow link is for so long and why I needed to take note of it, now time to go through my blog posts and sort them out, haha! Thank you for posting this!
    Alice Xx

28. August 29, 2017 / 7:46 pm

This post was really useful! Thank you for sharing! Nikki x

29. August 29, 2017 / 10:07 pm

Amazing damn didn’t know anything about tht

30. September 8, 2017 / 11:08 pm

Great post very helpful!

ATPGoneSerious.blogspot.co.uk

31. September 9, 2017 / 10:48 pm

Loved this post and its really informative but I have a question. You said to you the nofollow links for sponsored posts which I know, but, what about guest posts?

• September 10, 2017 / 12:08 am

Guest posts are 100% fine to use do follow links! You only use no follow if you’ve been paid to write a post whether that be buy money or by a product. Hope that helps!

• September 10, 2017 / 12:09 am

Oh I see! Thanks for clearing that up

32. September 13, 2017 / 11:15 pm

This is super helpful, thanks!